The Gneiting's Corner
Welcome to our little corner of the world!

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Time . . . it's a funny thing!


This year I reached a big milestone. I turned "a half-century"! Yeah, thats right. . .I'm 50! The big 5 0 !! I wasn't sure what to expect as my birthday approached. I wasn't sure if I should feel like I accomplished something great in my life or if it was the beginning of the end. Well to set the record straight I am loving where I am right now in my life. Aside from a few aches and pains and being a little slower than I was at 20, I feel fabulous at fifty! And I'm looking forward to the next 50 yrs.

However I've realized that time is a funny thing. Sometimes it seems like it is going so slow. Like when you are waiting for something great to happen-like Christmas when you were a kid. Remember how it took FOREVER for Christmas to roll around each year. Christmas Eve was the LONGEST night of the year. I also remember when my kids were little and life was full of diapers, bottles, crying babies, constant "owies," never-ending sibling squabbles, mountains of laundry, beds to be made, stacks of dirty dishes, etc, etc. There were times when I wondered if these little kids would ever grow up so that I could actually have a life of my own again.

On the other hand doesn't it seem as though time has sped up. Have you ever been involved in something that you never wanted to end, like a fun day with your friends, but before you knew it-the fun was over, sooner than you wanted it to be. Well my youngest child graduated from high school this year and is beginning her life as an adult. All of a sudden I realized that I am not raising my kids any more. Those days are done. Where did the time go? The last 30 years of being a "full-time mom" have been the hardest years of my life, yet the most fulfilling and rewarding. Am so glad that I choice to be a mom. But it went by way too fast. I'm still a mom to 5 wonderful, grown, independent great people. They are my friends and they teach me new things every day. But they don't "need" me like they did years ago. My role has changed. And it's ok . . .it's all good!

I don't know what my future holds for me but I do know one thing - I'm going to enjoy every moment of the next 50 yrs! And I hope it doesn't go by too fast!

3 comments:

judi said...

Hi Carol! I saw that you were stalking my daughter and had to say "hi". I'm proud of you starting this blog thing. Sheena's been after me for a couple of months to get a blog going. She wants me to run marathons with her too and we all know that's not going to happen either! I checked out your picasa pics. Cute family! I'll keep watching....Judi

Carol said...

Hey Judi. How are you? So how does it feel to have all of your kids married? And you are so lucky to be a grandma too. Hollie is our only married one but no kids yet, Scott is getting close to getting engaged but I'm not holding my breath. I'll believe it when it happens. Anyway, Sheena has a beautiful family and it is fun to follow her daily happenings. You really should start a blog-it is kinda fun. Take care.

sheena said...

Hey there! Welcome to blogging (I'm a bit of an addict as you've already seen!) It's so good to see the pics of your fam--and I'm so happy that I found Hollie! We'll keep in touch!