The Gneiting's Corner
Welcome to our little corner of the world!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Lets all do what we can to help!

The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints appealed today to the worldwide membership of the Church to help relieve the suffering in Haiti.


In a statement published on the Church’s official Web site, Church President Thomas S. Monson and counselors Henry B. Eyring and Dieter F. Uchtdorf said they are “keenly aware that many in America are dealing with economic challenges brought on by the recent recession.” Many Church members have made substantial contributions to Church Humanitarian Services, but more is needed.

Church members and others wishing to contribute to the aid efforts may do so by using the Donation Slip they normally use for Church donations or by logging onto lds.org and clicking on Humanitarian Services Emergency Response.

Today’s First Presidency statement also addressed the emotional trauma the Haitian people are experiencing in the wake of the devastating earthquake.

“Money is not the only need in Haiti,” the statement continued. “People are frightened, bewildered, and wholly uncertain about their future. In addition to what people can do in helping with food, water and shelter, there needs to be a calming influence over that troubled nation.

We invite people everywhere to supplicate God for a spirit of calm and peace among the people.”

As I read this statement from the 1st Presidency I was reminded of this scripture found in Matt. 25:35, 38 & 40

35. For I was hungered and ye gave me meat; I was thirsty and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger and ye took me in

38. When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

40. And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

You can read the full statement by the 1st Presidency HERE

You can also read HERE to see how the church is helping with the relief efforts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing this carol! i am so grateful for my blessings of the church, and i hope this statement will helps others to be blessed also. thanks again