The Gneiting's Corner
Welcome to our little corner of the world!

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Going bananas. . .


I don't seem to do much baking these days.  Mostly because I just don't have alot of extra time but mostly because I end up eating too much of the goodies, which I don't need. 

I don't know what is it about this time of year that makes me feel a little more "domestic" but I always love cooking and baking on cool fall days.  So . . . since I had several over ripe bananas I decided that I should put them to good use.  Needless to say, we enjoyed some really yummy Banana Bread and Banana Cookies.  And what is even better was the fact that they went so fast I didn't even end up eating more than my share.  Well maybe only a couple extra but don't tell anyone! :)

Anyway. . . I thought that I would share these great recipes so that you can put your old, nasty, over ripe bananas to good use too.

Sour Cream Banana Bread


1 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
2 eggs
1 c. mashed bananas
1/2 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350º.  Grease and flour bottom only of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. (This recipe makes one large loaf or a couple smaller ones)  In large bowl, beat together sugar and oil.  Add eggs, bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; blend well.  Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.  Add flour, soda, and salt to mixture.  Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.  Pour into pan and bake at at 350º for 50-60 minutes.  Check with toothpick.  Cool 5 minutes in pan then remove.  Makes 1 loaf.
(This bread is really moist because of the sour cream in it.  We love it!)


Banana Cookies


3/4 c. shortening  
2 c. flour
3/4 c. brown sugar  
2 ripe bananas (mashed)
1 egg  
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. banana flavoring  
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix shortening, brown sugar, banana, flour, and egg together.  Then add soda, banana flavoring and salt. Mix well.  Drop by spoonfuls on cookie sheet.
Bake at 350º for 10-12 minutes.  (Do not over bake)
Frost with Brown Sugar Frosting when cooled.

Brown Sugar Frosting
Warm in microwave:  
6 Tbsp brown sugar
4 Tbsp canned milk

Add and mix well:
4 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
Powdered Sugar to right thickness 

3 comments:

The Wilkes said...

Yum! I'll have to try them...they look delicious!

Romney Family said...

Those look yummy. thanks for sharing. I have been wanting a good banana bread recipe and how can you go wrong with one that has sour cream in it!!

Scott and Amy said...

that looks really good scott and i just bought bananas and i doubt we will eat them so i will have to try making those cookies and bread! love ya